Stire tematica: e Turbo News

Turism&Travel : 1 tourist dead, 4 rescued in New York helicopter crash

Wednesday 05 October 2011

An English woman has died and four other people were rescued after the helicopter they were flying in crashed seconds after take-off.

A Foreign Office spokesman confirmed that the woman who died was Sonia Marra, while the injured British passengers were Paul Nicholson, believed to be her stepfather, and his wife Harriet.

He said: 'We can confirm that three British nationals were involved in the helicopter crash in New York City.

'One of them has died in the crash and the next of kin have been informed. We are providing consular assistance.'

The fourth passenger is thought to be Helen Tamaski, a friend of Sonia, whose nationality is not known but lives in Australia.

According to the New York Daily News website, Harriet and Helen are both in a critical condition at the city's Bellevue Hospital, while Paul Nicholson is being treated at New York University Medical Center.

Four of the five people onboard the helicopter are alive after being pulled out in the East River off Manhattan, New York, including the pilot.

Five people were on board the Bell 206 Jet Ranger tourist helicopter - and two survivors could be seen clinging onto the craft as they were rescued.

Ms Marra was celebrating her 40th birthday with her parents, reported ABC News. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg called Prime Minister David Cameron to tell him about the tragedy.

'We have a family who've come here to see the best of our city and to end up in a tragic accident like this just breaks our heart. Our thoughts and prayers are with them,' he said last night.

'From what we know so far, the pilot reported having trouble keeping aloft, tried to turn back, but crashed in the water just north of the landing pad,' he added.

'Four of them were outside the helicopter when rescuers got to them, one was trapped inside. We did get the body out.'

One of the five people rescued was the veteran pilot, called Paul Dudley. The remaining four passengers on board were all said to be tourists from England. The pilot was treated at the scene. His helicopter was not equipped with floats.

Joy Garnett and her husband were on the dock waiting to take the East River ferry to Brooklyn when they heard the blades of a helicopter and saw it start to take off from the nearby helipad. She said she saw it do 'a funny curlicue.' She said: 'I thought, "Is that some daredevil move?" But it was obviously out of control. The body spun around at least two or three times, and then it went down.'

She said the chopper had lifted about 25 feet off the ground before it dropped into the water without much of a splash.

It flipped over, and the blades were sticking up out of the river. She said people on the dock started throwing in life jackets and buoys. Two people came up out of the waves.

Mrs Garnett added: 'It didn't make much noise. It was just a splash and sunk.' Scuba divers, police and fire units were all deployed in the area, where local media reported the water temperature as around 66F.

At least seven boats were involved in the East River rescue effort and ladders were used to pull survivors out of the cold water.

Carlos Acevedo, of Puerto Rico, was with his wife at a nearby park area when they saw the helicopter go down.

Mr Acevedo said: 'It sank fast. In seconds. Like the water was sucking it in.' Lau Kamg was leaving a dentist's office and was walking nearby when he saw the chopper go down. He said it appeared to be in distress.

He said: 'The sound got my attention. I saw it splash.'

Later Tuesday, crews were able to hoist the helicopter out of the river.

'It sank fast,' witness Luis Reyes told the New York Post. 'There were two guys on the outside holding on, screaming: "Help! Help!"'

It had reportedly just taken off from the East 34th Street heliport in Manhattan when it hit the water.

'The water is not too cold, but even 60 degrees can be dangerous,' coast guard spokesman Erik Swanson told the New York Post.

Eyewitness Dan Sweeney told NBC: 'It went down pretty fast. You could see the splash - you could see the top of it and it just disappeared.'

The helicopter was registered N63Q, and was reportedly owned by Mr Dudley, 56, who is also the director of Linden Airport in New Jersey.

It was built in 1976 and formerly operated as a 'news chopper.'

Mr Dudley, a married father-of-three and an experienced pilot who has flown helicopters for more than 20 years, remained at the scene while the other passengers were rescued.

Mr Dudley, who has been quoted on helicopter security in the past, had to land a Cessna 172 in a park in Brooklyn, New York, five years ago.

The chopper, a Bell 206 Jet Ranger, is one of the world's most popular helicopter models and was first flown in January 1966.

They are light and highly manoeuvrable, making them popular with television stations and air taxi companies. They cost up to $1.2million.

In August 2009 a small plane collided with a helicopter over the Hudson River, west of Manhattan, killing nine people, including five Italian tourists.

A government safety panel found that an air traffic controller who was on a personal phone call had contributed to the accident.

The Federal Aviation Administration changed its rules for aircraft flying over New York City's rivers after that collision.

Pilots must call out their positions on the radio and obey a 161mph speed limit. Before the changes, such radio calls were optional.

Earlier that year, an Airbus 320 airliner landed in the Hudson after hitting birds and losing both engines after taking off from LaGuardia Airport.

The flight, U.S. Airways Flight 1549, became known as the ‘Miracle on the Hudson' plane.

Autor: eTurboNews
<< World-class sculptors to compete in Knickerbocker Ice Festival ::: Index e Turbo News ::: inapoi la lista >>
| | Accesari: 1577 |
Page created in 0.33256697654724 seconds.